Search This Blog

Monday, January 5, 2009

THE 2008 BEST, RUNNERS-UP, ETC

MY BEST TIMES AT THE MOVIES 2008


SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE. Because it moved me more than any other movie I saw.
IN BRUGES. Because I loved the black humor and the twists and turns the story took.
MAN ON WIRE. Because this documentary kept me on the edge of my seat, even though I knew how it ended.
THE READER. Because it explored the role of guilt in our lives, which I found interesting.
EDGE OF HEAVEN. Because the interlocking stories were fascinating.
TRANSSIBERIAN. Because it was a terrific thriller.
TELL NO ONE. Because it was a terrific thriller. In French.
TROPIC THUNDER. Because I laughed. A lot.
MILK. Because it is important.
DOUBT. Because the writing and acting were so good.

THE NEXT BEST

THE WRESTLER. Because although the story didn't grab me, the acting was heart-breakingly good.
GRAN TORINO. Because it was just fun to be entertained.
BANK JOB. Ditto
VICKI CHRISTINA BARCELONA. Because I loved how it showed our self-perceptions rule our actions.
Other worthies, for one reason or another (acting, special effects, etc): THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON, CHANGELING, APPALOOSA, ELEGY, FROZEN RIVER, WHEN DID YOU LAST SEE YOUR FATHER

THE OVER-RATED

(I generally only see movies that get generally good reviews, and these were the ones where I didn’t get the adulation)

RACHEL GETTING MARRIED. Sure, Anne Hathaway was very good as a recovering addict, but Rachel's wedding was a pretentious bore.
BURN AFTER READING. Because the first half and second half were two different movies.
FROST/NIXON. Because I was kind of bored in spots, to be honest.
BOY THE STRIPED PAJAMAS. Because it is wrong to set up a completely false pretense to bring home the horror of the Holocaust; it is inherent in the event.
WALL-E. Yeah, the animation was great, but a best movie?

1 comment:

RJ said...

IN BRUGES. ~~AGREE, great movie!!~~
THE READER. ~~I'm with you on this one too.. .though they didn't explore much the 'sexual predator' angle. And the makeup was amazing, when you first see Lena Olin! wow! ~~
TELL NO ONE. ~~ditto a great thrilled told in a believable pace. afterward I said that seemed so American, whala! its based on an American thriller novel.!

TROPIC THUNDER. ~~As chronicled elsewhere I too laughed, too many times even at the Non-PC shit because that WAS the point.

MILK. Poignant not maudlin.
DOUBT. ~~haven't seen it yet but will, the play was awesome with Eileen Atkins who replaced 24 President Cherry Jones (who won the Tony)

VICKI CHRISTINA BARCELONA. ~~a delightful turn from Woody Allen, i never would've expected it.